Thursday, March 27, 2008

Professor John Nicolas Coldstream FBA, FSA (1927-2008)


It is with great sadness that we report the death of Professor John Nicolas Coldstream on Friday 21st March 2008.

I had the honour to know Professor Coldstream personally, as he was the external examiner of my PhD thesis at Nottingham in 2003. Prof. Coldstream was always very kind to me and acted as my referee in more than one occasion.

The last time we met was in Volos last June during the conference in memory of another eminent archaeologist, William D. Coulson.

A Symposium on Greek Geometric Pottery in memory of the late Professor Nicolas Coldstream will take place at the British School at Athens on Saturday 29th March 2008.

He shall be greatly missed...

1 comment:

ndaisley said...

Indeed - he was my Professor in London, 1981-85 and was a good and kind-hearted man as well as a great scholar - I have only just heard about his death, but strangely was going through my field notebooks just at the weekend for the first time in many years, and remembering him.